Brentwood Borough Council (BBC)
Client: Brentwood Borough Council (BBC)
KEW Planning entered into a Planning Performance Agreement (PPA) with BBC, to act as the planning officer in relation to a residential scheme in the village of Great Warley, on behalf of Redington Capital Ltd. The site had a very complex planning history and is within Green Belt; the Great Warley Conservation Area and contains a locally listed building (the hotel).
The full planning application comprises:
– Demolition of ancillary buildings on the site;
– Creation of 43 new dwellings;
– Restoration of a locally listed building and a historic stable, with the conversion to residential use;
– Car parking and landscaping;
– Extensive public open space landscaped gardens;
– A new playground;
– A new forest school; and
– Over 30% biodiversity net gain.
KEW Planning provided dedicated resources to help BBC determine this planning application within a very tight timescale. KEW Planning successfully negotiated with the applicant amendments to the scheme so that the proposal would be policy compliant, and no harm would be done to the significance of the locally listed building. A less than substantial harm to the conservation area was identified, but this was outweighed by the other benefits of the proposal.
KEW Planning also worked tirelessly with the applicant to refine the public benefits of the proposal, ensuring that cumulatively they would amount to Very Special Circumstances that would outweigh the inappropriate development within the Green Belt.
Finally, KEW Planning successfully negotiated an onsite provision of affordable housing and a review mechanism for delivery, to a maximum policy compliant position, should the viability of the scheme prove better than expected as construction work progresses.
KEW Planning presented this planning application to the March 2023 BBC planning committee, and the application was approved by Members.
Full service included:
– Site inspection.
– Pre-application meeting.
– Provision of pre-application advice.
– Review of planning application documents.
– Post-submission liaison, including several meetings, with the design team to discuss the application.
– Liaison and feedback from statutory consultees.
– Members briefings.
– Committee report preparation.
– Committee presentation preparation.
– Preparing the planning conditions.