Newport Leisure Centre
Local Planning Authority: Newport City Council
KEW Planning were appointed to submit a Full-Planning Application following the successful application of an outline planning application at the same site.
The proposed development was for the construction of a new leisure centre (D2) and community health and well-being centre(D1) including a pool hall.
– The site is constrained by the River Usk to east which is a designated Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and Site Are of Conservation (SAC).
– The flood risk category had been recently downgraded from C2 to zone B.
– Regenerating and revitalising a large brownfield site in a strategically important location within Newport City Centre.
– Part of the site was covered under the archaeologically sensitive area. An archaeological watching brief was undertaken between 8th and 9th June 2021, and it did not reveal any notable archaeological remains.
– The site is not covered by an ecological designation. However, appropriate mitigation measures were put in place to protect species and provide enhancements where feasibly possible.
The planning application was unanimously approved at planning committee within time scales set out by the client. The scheme will significantly contribute toward enhancing placemaking along Usk Way, enabling the development to become a landmark building within the heart of Newport.